Below is a list of some of the more common questions raised by students in the DIS as well as international students who are considering coming to Hanyang.

Applying to Hanyang

1. How do I apply for a campus tour?
Only high school students (in groups consisting of a minimum of 20 students) can apply for camps tours. There are no organized tours for individuals. To apply for a tour, click here. After checking tour availability through the “Check Schedule” menu item, click on “Apply for the Campus Tour” tab at the bottom of the page. Tours should be booked at least two weeks in advance. The duration of the tours is usually less than one hour and includes a 20- minute introductory video.

2. May I apply to more than one university in Korea?
Yes, you may apply to as many universities as you like, but you can only register at one.

3. Who qualifies as an “international student”?
To be considered as an international student, neither the student nor his or her parents can hold Korean citizenship. This restriction includes those with dual citizenship (Korean plus another nationality).

Student Employment

1. Where can I find out about jobs and internships?
Both the university and the DIS office will from time to time send out information to students on jobs and internship programs. Additionally, the DIS has its own office, run by Prof. Kim Yung-Ki, that provides individual consultation for students. LinkKareer (in Korean) is another resources that Korean students have found helpful for this purpose.


1. Are there any scholarships specifically for international students?
There are eight different types of scholarships that international students can apply for. Click here for more information on the types of scholarships, the application procedures, and the deadlines. See also the scholarships section of this website.

Living in Seoul

1. What is the air quality like in Seoul?
There are two distinct but overlapping air quality concerns in Seoul and Korea more generally. First, there is the fine-dust pollution from industrial activity and the burning of fossil fuels both in Korea and neighboring China. Second, there are the seasonal yellow-dust storms, mainly in the spring, that originate in China and Mongolia and sweep across Northeast Asia. Regarding the year-round pollution coming from the burning of fossil fuels and other industrial activities, there is some debate as to how much of it is domestic and home much comes from China. According to a report from the Korea Environment Institute, up to 70 percent of Korea’s fine dust pollution comes from China and other Asian countries such as Kazakhstan and Mongolia. This however conflicts with a Greenpeace/Harvard study, according to which 50 to 70 percent of South Korea’s fine-dust pollution is generated domestically. Regardless of the exact breakdown of the causes, the result is clear: in its 2016 Environmental Performance Index, Yale University ranked Korea 173 out of 180 countries for its poor air quality.

Here are some helpful resources for monitoring air quality in Seoul and its surrounding regions:
AQI set for Seongdong-Gu, Seoul (the district in which Hanyang is located)
Current air quality information for Seoul (in Korean)
Current air quality information for Korea (in Korean)
Map of current wind patterns in Northeast Asia

2. Are there vegetarian or vegan options for students?
While there are no specifically vegetarian or vegan restaurants on campus, some typical Korean dishes (eg. bibimbap) have little or no animals products. Within Seoul there are many veggie options. Here are some helpful resources for those who are interested:
The Happy Cow (a restaurant guide for Seoul)
10 Magazine’s list of their top ten veggie restaurants (a magazine run by a former instructor in the DIS)